I have realized that lead acid battery is way too heavy for Alfred’s body. However, I have to make a comparison and find a better way to have high density battery. Also price is another concern.
I have made some tests and concluded the battery comparison chart below:
3S4P Li-Ion battery set will need to be regulated to 5 volts. I also created below diagram to reduce the voltage from 12 V to 5 volts.
I think this power system will support the Alfred’s RPI systems. Next step is to design the battery charge / discharge module for Li-Ion. In a way back to square one from charger perspective.
I was thinking of, how to charge batteries of Alfred. Suddenly I have realized that my old and probably dead computers psu can help me. If you think it supplies constant 12 volt for long long time. Maybe i can tune it make it work for Alfred for some time also. These batteries have 6 cells, each are 2.2 volt meaning fully charged battery will be around 13.2 volt. So I may need to modify the power supply a bit.
Finally, the hand that I have ordered has arrived. This will be my first hand. If you are having an IOT project then you should have mobility besides being extensible. Anyway, this is a good start for having a platform in Europe and managing some robotic system in America or APAC. Let’s see what we I can do with this. I will keep you posted!
Finally, I have written an android application that sends sensor data to pan/tilt camera system and camera moves with moving the phone. The camera sends the view to phone. So if you just plug in the phone to a Google Virtual Cardboard or any other android supported virtual reality headset it will just show you what the robot sees. Video goes over fully TCP/IP to support IOT functions. Please click read more for detailed video…
They say, when you have a client-server application written in same language it is easier to make talk two different application written in different languages. Well said, I don’t disagree. However, having some support on developing android can be beneficial. I am developing an application on MIT APP Inventor 2 with support of Taifun‘s java coding from Pura Vida Apps.
You should visit his page really great stuff.
Finally back from CAD Design. What I can say is this design is more stable, more IOT but more heavy. Hopefully, I will not face the weight issue that I have faced with V1. Luckily, I have 4 motors instead of 2. We will see.
I have started to build V3. I have realized that the aluminium chassis is 10 cm. shorter than expected. Ica not place the middle wheels. I should go back and start to work on CAD to build a new chassis design. Hmm!! Maybe it is a better idea to build a larger chassis. Let me think…
everything seems quite alright from the chassis perspective. Hope to finish building it this weekend.